The creator of Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie, commissioned Sir George Frampton to build the Peter Pan statue in 1902. It was erected in Kensington Gardens in 1912 located in Kensington Gardens to the west of the Long Water. It features squirrels, rabbits, mice and fairies climbing up to Peter, who is stood at the top of the bronze statue. J.M. Barrie lived close to Kensington Gardens and published his first Peter Pan story in 1902, using Kensington Gardens for inspiration.